Archive information - We are currently working with a new insurer to bring you an even better motorhome insurance scheme policy.

DIY or Home Converted Camper Vans

Insurance is provided by the previous insurer, who were able to arrange cover for home converted self build motorhomes and campervans at the same rate as professional conversions and purpose built motorhomes.

In order to qualify for this cover the camper van must be fully converted to a motorhome or campervan at the time cover is incepted and you must be able to provide an “Engineers Report” which can be undertaken by any MOT garage. The engineers report must be received by the previous insurer within 14 days of the vehicle going on cover. This is a very strict requirement and failure to provide the report in time will result in cancellation and time on risk costs being incurred.

A fully converted DIY motorhome or self build campervan must have all of the following permanently built in:

  • A built in bed
  • A wardrobe
  • Cooking facilities
  • A seating/dining area
  • Housing for water storage

The base vehicle must be a UK or European Union manufactured van.

If you can comply with these requirements and your motorhome or campervan is fully converted and you can provide an engineers report within 14 days of cover being incepted then you can obtain an instant on-line quotation by clicking the button at the bottom of the page. Please note that there are some other important limits listed alongside. It will save you time if you check these before going on to our quotation system.

Engineers Report:
You can download an Engineers Report form. Take this along to any MOT station and ask them to undertake a visual check and complete the form for you. This should cost no more than £50.

Changing the classification on your V5C
In addition to our requirements the DVLA expect you to send in your V5C with photographic evidence of the conversion. This is a legal requirement and not optional, full details are available here: V5C reclassification

Important Limits

It will save you time if you consider these important limits before going forward to get a quote.

  • Maximum Sum Insured: £75,000
  • Maximum Engine size: 5,000cc
  • Maximum Vehicle Age: 25 Years
  • Maximum number of drivers: 4 including the policy holder, all must be named
  • Maximum age at inception for any driver named: 74 years of age
  • Minimum age at inception for any driver named: 25 years of age
  • The policy is for UK residents only and all named drivers must have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to today's date and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 5 years.
  • The previous insurer could not arrange cover during the conversion process while the van is being converted by yourself, only when it is finished.
  • Please be aware that we do not confirm cover on-line.

Relax and let us take care of your insurance.

Caravanwise Limited

Caravan Insurance Intermediary
100 Ringwood Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 5RF
Registered in England No.3560388
Authorised and regulated
by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our FCA Register number is 304081.


Site contents and design ©2013 Caravanwise Limited All rights reserved
Caravanwise is a registered Trademark.