DIY Campervan Insurance and DayVan InsuranceInstant Quote >>
We are now able to offer Dayvan Insurance at the same rates as campervan insurance.
The minimum features for a vehicle to qualify as a Day van are as follows:
1. A door that provides access to the living accommodation.
2. A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day, but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle. A “Rock and Roll” bed is acceptable.
We cannot offer commuting cover for dayvans and all of our usual underwriting criteria apply.
If you have a DayVan the on-line system can only give an indicative quote. For a confirmed quote please telephone 0800 3282084 during office hours
DIY and self build campervan insurance
We are able to arrange cover for home converted self build motorhomes and campervans at the same rate as professional conversions and purpose built motorhomes. You can even be covered for 90 days during conversion. You can select fully comprehensive cover or, for lower value conversions, total sum insured up to £5,000, third party fire and theft cover.
If you need more time to complete your conversion one option is to fit a bed and insure it initially as a dayvan. Call us on 0800 3282084 to discuss your options.
In order to qualify for this cover the camper van must be fully converted to a motorhome and a revised V5C document be obtained within 90 days of the policy being incepted. You must be able to self certify that within 90 days that you have completed the conversion to the following standard and have obtained a revised V5C showing the classification "Motor Caravan". This is the DVLA standard definition for all motorhomes, motor caravans and campervans. Note that they require that it has the external appearance of a "Motor Caravan". You can download the DVLA guide entitled Converting a vehicle into a motorhome << here.
A fully converted DIY motorhome or self build campervan must have all of the following permanently built in:
- A door that provides access to the living accommodation.
- A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day, but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle.
- A water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle.
- A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. A loose table would not be acceptable.
- A permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe.
- A permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity. * see note below.
- At least one window on the side of the living accommodation.
The maximum number of seats in the vehicle on this policy is 8. This applies during conversion as well as once finished.
If you can comply with these requirements and are able to certify that you have or will have a revised V5C document showing the classification "Motor Caravan" within 90 days you can obtain an online quotation here. Please note that there are some other important limits listed alongside. It will save you time if you check these before going on to our quotation system. If you require a policy for up to 4 drivers or want to discuss your requirements further please telephone us on 01425 280078 during office hours. We can't give you advice but we can either provide you with the information you need or tell you where you will be able to find it.
Changing the classification on your V5C
If you are converting a vehicle into a motorhome, campervan of motor caravan the DVLA expect you to send in your V5C with photographic evidence of the conversion. They may require that you take your vehicle to one of their offices for inspection. The reclassification is a legal requirement and not optional.
NOTE - This insurance does not cover loss or damage caused by fire or explosion arising from the use of heating or cooking equipment, unless the equipment has been serviced and/or fitted by a CORGI or HSE registered engineer and a fire extinguisher and/or blanket is kept in or on the vehicle, or loss or damage to the contents of the caravan or motorhome other than the contents which are permanent fixtures and fittings.
It will save you time if you consider these important limits before going forward to get a quote.
- Maximum Sum Insured: £60,000 Comprehensive. Vehicles over £50,000 must have approved tracking device fitted and in service.
- Maximum Sum Insured: £5,000 TPFT.
- Maximum Engine size: 4,000cc. If you have owned a motorhome with up to 5,000cc for at least a year Call us on 0800 328 2084 for a quote.
- Maximum Vehicle Age: 100 Years
- Maximum number of seats: 8
- Maximum number of drivers: (on-line quote) 2 including the policy holder, all must be named
- Maximum number of drivers: (telephone quote) 4 including the policy holder, phone 01425 280078 during office hours.
- Maximum age at inception for any driver named: 74 years of age
- Minimum age at inception for any driver named: 25 years of age
- The policy is for UK residents only and all named drivers must have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to today's date and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 2 years.
- Limited Mileage This is a limited mileage policy which means that you are fully covered up to the limit that you have selected which is shown on your insurance schedule. If you exceed this limit cover is restricted solely to that required by the Road Traffic Acts. You can select a mileage limit up to a maximum of 12,000 miles.
- Please be aware that we do not confirm cover on-line.
Relax and let us take care of your insurance.
Insurance Intermediary and Credit Broker
100 Ringwood Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 5RF
Registered in England No.3560388
Authorised and regulated
by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our FCA Register number is 304081.
Site contents and design ©2013 Caravanwise Limited All rights reserved
Caravanwise is a registered Trademark.