DIY Campervan Insurance and DayVan InsuranceInstant Quote >> Click to Call Free - 0800 3282084
Call Free - 0800 3282084
We are now able to offer Dayvan Insurance at the same rates as campervan insurance. For more details Click here >> DayVan Insurance
DIY and self build campervan insurance
We are able to arrange cover for home converted self build motorhomes and campervans at the same rate as professional conversions and purpose built motorhomes. You can even be covered for 90 days during conversion. You can select fully comprehensive cover or, for lower value conversions, total sum insured up to £5,000, third party fire and theft cover.
If you need more time to complete your conversion one option is to fit a bed and insure it initially as a dayvan. Call us on 0800 3282084 to discuss your options.
In order to qualify for motorhome insurance cover the van must be fully converted to a motorhome and the DVLA advised of the modifications you have made. You must be able to self certify that within 90 days you will have completed the conversion to the following standard.
- A door that provides access to the living accommodation.
- A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day, but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle.
- A water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle.
- A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. A loose table would not be acceptable.
- A permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe.
- A permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity. * see note below.
- At least one window on the side of the living accommodation.
The DVLA also require that it has the external appearance of a "Motor Caravan". New guidance was issued on the required features in order to obtain reclassification on 21st October 2019. DVLA - Converting a vehicle into a motor caravan. This now includes some guidance on "external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans".
The maximum number of seats in the vehicle on this policy is 8. This applies during conversion as well as once finished.
If you can comply with these requirements and are able to certify that you have or will have advised the DVLA of these modifications within 90 days you can obtain an online quotation here. Please note that there are some other important limits listed alongside. It will save you time if you check these before going on to our quotation system. If you require a policy for up to 4 drivers or want to discuss your requirements further please telephone us on 0800 3282084 during office hours. We can't give you advice but we can either provide you with the information you need or tell you where you will be able to find it.
Changing the classification on your V5C
If you are converting a vehicle into a motorhome, campervan of motor caravan the DVLA expect you to send in your V5C with photographic evidence of the conversion. They may require that you take your vehicle to one of their offices for inspection. The reclassification is a legal requirement and not optional.
NOTE - This insurance does not cover loss or damage caused by fire or explosion arising from the use of heating or cooking equipment to privately converted motorhomes or campervans, unless fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations and/or manufacturers’ instructions.
It will save you time if you consider these important limits before going forward to get a quote.
- Maximum Sum Insured: £60,000 Comprehensive. Vehicles over £50,000 must have approved tracking device fitted and in service.
- Maximum Sum Insured: £5,000 TPFT.
- Maximum Engine size: 4,000cc. If you have owned a motorhome with up to 5,000cc for at least a year Call us on 0800 328 2084 for a quote.
- Maximum Vehicle Age: 100 Years
- Maximum number of seats: 8
- Maximum number of drivers: (on-line quote) 2 including the policy holder, all must be named
- Maximum number of drivers: (telephone quote) 4 including the policy holder, phone 01425 280078 during office hours.
- Maximum age at inception for any driver named: 80 years of age
- Minimum age at inception for any driver named: 25 years of age
- The policy is for UK residents only and all named drivers must have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to today's date and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 2 years.
- Limited Mileage This is a limited mileage policy which means that you are fully covered up to the limit that you have selected which is shown on your insurance schedule. If you exceed this limit cover is restricted solely to that required by the Road Traffic Acts. You can select a mileage limit up to a maximum of 12,000 miles.
- Please be aware that we do not confirm cover on-line.
Business as usual!
We have people working from
home to help you on:
Mon - Fri 9am - 6pm
Sat 10am - 12noon
Green Cards You will need a Green Card to drive legally in the EU and EEA. Free Annual Green Card for Motorhome clients.
MOTORHOME claims number from abroad
+44 1689 898603
Lines are open 24/7
Relax and let us take care of your insurance.
Insurance Intermediary and Credit Broker
100 Ringwood Road, Walkford, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 5RF
Registered in England No.3560388
Authorised and regulated
by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our FCA Register number is 304081.
Site contents and design ©2013 Caravanwise Limited All rights reserved
Caravanwise is a registered Trademark.